Thursday, May 6, 2010

One More Thing

I know, this post will actually show up first, so reading the title is a bit confusing. But while I was at Sam's club the other day I picked up a magazine that caught my attention. I took it home and thumbed through it while I was eating lunch. Then when Kenna got home from school, she was flipping through it too. The magazine is called "Clean Eating". It is a magazine dedicated to, among other things, eating foods in their most natural or close-to-it state. Now don't go off and get discouraged at this point. This magazine actually has good food in it. Good food that's real, not over-processed, over-flavored and over-sized, and not difficult to find or cook. Kenna was looking through it saying stuff like, "Can we have this tonight?" or "That looks so good". She's by far not my most picky eater, but I think even Kent would like this food. It is just good. Check out their website here. I actually ripped out the little flag thingy that you mail in for a subscription to the magazine and I'm excited to get my first issue. 

The rules for clean eating:
1. Eat 5 to 6 times a day (I can do that).
2. Drink at least 2 liters of water a day (I think I can do that).
3. Get label savvy (I already do that).
4. Avoid processed and refined food (I mostly do that).
5. Know thy enemies - high saturated fats, trans-fats, fried foods, foods high in sugar.
6. Shop with a conscience.
7. Consume healthy fats (I way over-do that).
8. Learn about portion sizes (I know, but don't do that).
9. Reduce your carbon footprint (okay, I'm not a huge environmentalist, but the idea here is to eat seasonal produce that is local - I do that as much as possible b/c it's better for your body and wallet).
10. Drink water with a lemon wedge.
11. Slow down and savor (I need to do that).
12. Take it on the go - s0 many recipes are lunch box friendly.
13. Make it a family affair (indeed, I plan to do that).

Check it out and happy, healthy eating to you!

2 comments:

  1. I need to do all of those things! What a great list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you!! i love learning &trying to be better at this. i really want to get a grasp on it so i can be a better wife& mother and help my family to be healthy! [as you have done so fabulously!]

    ReplyDelete