Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Nicki

Happy Birthday to you, Nicki!

Today is Nicki's 22nd birthday. I can't believe that 22 years ago I was in a hospital in Connecticutt having our first baby. Kent was in and out of the labor/delivery room watching March Madness, that is until the madness in the delivery room kicked in. Nicki was born with just a skiff of dark hair and we thought she was such a beautiful baby. She was so tiny that when we bundled her up to bring her home, Kent kept checking in the quilt to make sure he had ahold of her. Those first few days were quite the shock to us. I thought I knew all about babies, but I quickly found out my mom knew all about babies and I knew nothing.

Through the years Nicki has been such a blessing to us. She is full of surprises, fun and joy. Maybe add in a bit of stubbornness and a determination that is unmatched by anyone I know! From a very young age, it was apparent to me that Nicki would think for herself and not be swayed by whatever or whomever. I always knew she would choose her own path and make her own decisions. I was always grateful for that strengh in her, even when she was at odds with me. It wasn't always easy, but I knew if we could keep her pointed in the right direction, she wouldn't disappoint.

Nicki is a natural "oldest child". She is a natural leader and has an abundance of confidence. She has been a perfect example to her younger siblings and she has made our job as parents much easier by setting this great example. She is intelligent, smart, a little sassy (which is fun now that she is out of her teenage years) and always up for some fun. She is a spark, that's for sure.

We love you, Nicki and we hope you have the best birthday ever. Here are a few photos that bring a smile to my face and I think they will bring a smile to yours too.

Love you,
Mom

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Create a free slideshow

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Nicki! I will gladly take any advice you can give about raising a strong-minded child. I always love having Nicki around. She's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mama! I did enjoy those pictures, they were so wonderful. Actually, some of them were scary. Like the first ones of me :) I am missing you guys so much today. Lots of love! Can't wait to Skype tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday nicki!! those pictures are really cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm itching for another McAffee get together looking at all those pics! Any takers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this girl. she really is the best!

    ReplyDelete