Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Total Foodie Weekend

Last April when I visited Nicki in New York, I ate some of the best food I have ever eaten in my life. Hands down, New York is a melting pot of food for every palate, from every country in the world. I came home determined to try cooking some of the yummy things I'd eaten in New York. So last Friday I took an Indian Cooking class. I learned to make Naan bread (so yummy and easy), Chicken Makhani, Bangalore Chicken Curry and Indian Veggie Patties. All very good, all very easy. Best of all, I learned that with very little know-how, you can cook from a variety of countries around the world.
My next project is gnocchi. I've had it before (not in New York), but I want to learn to make it from scratch. It isn't as easy as it looks. I've watched cooks on the Food Network make it, and of course, it looks so simple and easy. Big lie! I tried Giada's recipe (nothing to it, she promises) and ended up with tiny little pillows of brick in my tummy, not tiny little pillows of pasta. I ran into someone at Friday's cooking class that swears she has a fool-proof recipe, but it involves dehydrated potato buds - not the kind of fresh I was looking for, and probably not what any Italian cook who is worth her weight in pasta sauce would use, but I'll try it. Why don't I just buy it you ask? Well, because I have yet to find it in a grocery store here in quaint little Cache Valley, and I've been looking for about 7 years (no kidding!) only the dried stuff - yuck. If any of you out there have a great recipe (Bonnie) and are willing to share, I'm up for making it multiple times until I get it down. How hard can it be, right???
Add in a big batch of homemade bread, an apple pie ( as per Trevor's request) and a coconut cream pie (as per Kent's request) and I had a cooking/baking filled weekend.
HCG diet, anyone???


6 comments:

  1. Man. You are great. I want to do that. I've been wanting to bake a pie for a few weeks but I'm scared because the only one I've ever baked was the one you helped me with right before our wedding... & we all know how my bread turns out. Yikes. Love you! (Also, could you email or post the Naan recipe? I have an Indian dish that I make regularly and Mckay would die if I could throw in hot, fresh, garlic naan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm seriously impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wrote a book as a comment here telling you about my gnocchi making experience. I decided to just send it out as a blog post. So if you want a gnocchi how-to straight from the center of Rome you can look at my blog. mags-rags.blogspot.com
    but excuse me, I have to go teach english for a while before i can post it.

    I will dedicate it especially to you. :)

    p.s. NEVER buy it. NEVER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YU-UMMMM!!! :) I really wish I was a good cook-i really wish more that John wasn't soo picky!! They all look really good and i bet they tasted even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Caroline,
    I left the morning after nicki's wedding for Italy. I started as a nanny, hated the tyrant woman running the show, moved to florence to train to teach english, and now i live in Rome and work as an English teacher. It has been a tough ride, but can't take back the life lessons. I am doing so well and I have hit my 6 month mark! I live with a friend I met in Florence. My Italian isn't great but it is getting better all the time. I hope to learn many recipes from the gnocchi woman and I will be sure to collect and share them with you if you want. I know it is one of my dreams come true. if you ever want to send me an email feel free. I always write back. megs_322@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make gnocchis every 29th, dia de los gnocchis. They are so easy and I make them from scratch every time. Let me know how yours turn out.

    ReplyDelete