Monday, February 28, 2011

Catching Up!

As per Nicki's request, this blog is specifically for her and will be mostly boring to anyone else who reads it. However, if you elect to read it, you are going to get a glimpse of our most ordinary lives.

We got dumped on this past week. It snowed off and on from Wendesday through Saturday, but by far we got the most snow on Friday night. I know it doesn't look like much in these pictures, but Kent and I moved a ton of snow off the driveway Saturday morning. And it was wet, heavy snow. Yes, we do have a snowblower, and it even works, but Kent claims he loves the workout. It was beautiful, as snow always is before it gets nasty looking.
This is what the front of the house looked like.

Looking over towards Farnsworth's home.
The front yard.
View from the back deck.
Hansen's red barn.
Dad and Dean, after singing a very inspiring "Happy Birthday" to Claudia.
So, while Kent and I were out shoveling snow, he decided to take a break and go across the street and talk to Dean. While he was over there, Claudia (Dean's wife), came out to shovel the snow off her front door step. Next thing I knew they were singing "Happy Birthday" to Claudia in a very enthusiastic and off-key kind of way. It was cute and funny to see/hear these two old guys singing with much gusto to Claudia.

Kenna and Ringo enjoying the snow (boots) and sun (shorts???).



Backing up a bit to Valentine's Day. What is it they say about the best laid plans . . .
Nicki gave us a gift certificate to one of the few nice restaurants here in Cache Valley and we decided to save it for Valentine's Day. So a couple of days before, I reminded Kent to make the reservation. I also happen to love making something special for the kids for Valentine's Day. Traditionally I have made them chocolate heart-shaped biscuits for breakfast with whipped cream and strawberries. This year I wanted to change it up a bit and "surprise" the kids. I decided I would make a red velvet heart-shaped cake for after school/work. After I got off work, on Valentine's Day, I went to a couple of grocery stores looking for the red food coloring - none to be found. I was tired and it was getting late, so no red velvet heart-shaped cake for the kids. That would have to wait for later in the week. Then, to my dismay, Kent forgot to make the reservations until Monday morning, so no dinner out. I think we ended up eating mac and cheese, homemade, but still, very lame. We pulled the cake off a couple of days later and had a good ol' time decorating it. It was kind of a family effort, and tons of fun.


Below is a yummy fruit pizza Trevor and I made a week before Valentine's Day. It was just something we have never made before (I know, I must live under a rock). Trevor did the fruit arrangement. For some reason, my kids get way into food arrangements. He loves baking with me. For the longest time (almost up until he turned 6 or 7, he wanted to be a baker, then a librarian when he started school and discovered the library there, and the sweet lady who was the librarian).

4 comments:

  1. Cake and fruit pizza looked delish. I love fruit pizza. I've been waiting for an update from you as well. And I've always thought Valentines day is over-rated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a kid missing from the picture!!! Not cool. Thanks for the update. I love pictures of you guys. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline, this is anything but uninteresting. I love seeing your home with all the pretty snow and finally hearing what happened on Valentine's Day. Bummer but the lovely things you made are really neat. What is the crust of your fruit pizza? Love the elegant bakery look! How fun that Trevor loves working in the kitchen. So does Spencer and one of Chris' boys, Zachy. Great to get a glimpse of what is happening with you all.

    Love, B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The snow is something I really miss about living in Utah. We get 1 inch of snow here in Oregon and they shut the whole city and school districts down. We've had sooooooo much rain and cloud cover the past few months. I would gladly take a few major snow days as long as the sun was shining with it. :)

    ReplyDelete