Friday, October 22, 2010

It's No Secret - I Love Fall!

I love the house decorated for fall. I try to stay away from "Halloween" only decorations, that way I can keep the stuff up for Thanksgiving too, because even though I love my house decorated, I HATE doing it (too time consuming and a brain boggle for me)! Disclaimer here: I am no photographer, as is obvious, but wanted to share the fun anyway.
I love this fall wreath.

We grew all these pumpkins (plus a few more) in our garden this year. I think we had about 40 in all, including the 3 or 4 the grasshoppers ate (oh ya, they made a feast of the garden this year).

This tree is in our backyard and it is one of my favorite things about fall. It always turns this beautiful red color, while most of the rest of the trees I see around here turn gold or orange (also beautiful, but not like this one). The picture doesn't do it justice. I wish I had a few more of these planted around the property.

I love putting all my pretty fall dishes in my china cabinet.

I bought these a few years ago. I couldn't decide which one I liked best, so I got all three without any regrets or buyer's remorse!
The over all effect. (Sorry about the glare)

I have a ton of built in shelves in our family room. Even though it is a pain to dust, having the spaces broken up does make for easier decorating.

I love this picture over our fireplace. It was painted by Del Parsons in an orphanage Kent designed down in Ecuador a few years ago (also where I served my mission). The owners of the orphanage had a print made for Kent and I and gave it to us for Christmas the year the orphanage was finished. You can't tell from this far away, but the small children in the painting are the children who live in the orphanage and the teenage girls are the girls from BYU-Idaho that volunteer to go down and work in these orphanages. The man standing in the left of the picture is the man who, with his wife, run the home the volunteers live in. I love this picture for the obvious reasons, and because it is very unique; not every member of the church has seen or has a copy of this picture. I love it. Not a fall deco - this one stays up all year.

This is a bit better, but again, I am no photographer.

Anyway, on with the decorating. I love pumpkins, about 90% of my fall decor is pumpkins, most of them are pretty generic, but a couple are definitely Jack-O-Lantern type. Here are a few of my favorites.




My token Thanksgiving decorations.


Last, but certainly not least, I bought this spooky tree quite a number of years ago when we lived in CA. I don't love it and have tried to get rid of it, however, it has turned out to be one of my kids' favorite decorations. They used to fight over who got to hang the little halloween decorations on it. (Ahh, such sweet memories)!
I hope you enjoyed your little tour. This was mostly done for Nicki, but I hope it was also fun for the rest of you "regulars".

8 comments:

  1. cute!!! i also love fall but it just reminds me that winter is right around the corner-which is my least favorite season!
    thanks for the home remedies! i will definatly try them? anything i can do for garrett's sore throat other than children's motrin? that's what i have him on now and i really don't think it's working! thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it!!! Good job. It made me jealous to look at, but I'm glad you got it finished. If I did a decorating tour of my house... it would be a picture of the decorative bowl I bought today a DI. (It's gorgeous though!) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. And the pictures were great. I wish I would obtain any strong desire to decorate my house. Also, I have never had an eye for it. Your home has always been beautiful and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute, cute, cute!!! I love the decorations they are cute. Love decorating as well, because they stay up for 2 months not just 1. but you have way more than me, and they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your decorations! And I completely agree with you about "Fall decor." Every time I pick up a Halloween decoration at the store, I put it back and look for something that can last through November. Why decorate twice??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fall decorations too! I wish I had more but what little I have fits perfect in our cozy {little} home. Fall is such a festive and heart-warming season, my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks beautiful! Fall has to be one of my favorite times of year! I love how it looks, smells, tastes, everything! Want to do my house next? Just kidding. My poor kids are bummed because we have no decorations up this year... Can't decorate and remodel at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love everything here. Your home grown pumpkins, the wreath, all the decorating you did! It is all so fun. I especially love how you tilted that one big pumpkin on the top of your entertainment center. Just a little variation to the way 99% of the people would do it adds such interest. The fun of decorating is all in the details.

    I agree with you, as does Mandy, that doing the decor just around Halloween is not as good as going a little broader with it all and being able to keep it up until after Thanksgiving. I do have a few Halloween things but I focus it more on the harvest aspect of Fall. This year not too much is happening in that department here...saving my energy for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete