Saturday, January 23, 2010

Winter sports are not for wimps!


Kent, me and Colt Farmer (could be Cade Farmer)
Colt or Cade, Tucker, Hunter and Lanell, my sis.
Kenna doing her snowboard thing.
I'm in the yellow coat, Hunter is sitting in the snow, and Lanell is in the white coat.

We've had a bit of snow lately and have been promising Kenna and Trevor we would let them take a day off school and we would go skiing. We finally did it yesterday and had a ton of fun. I love that we live so close to a ski resort and can do this. I took up the sport in 2004 or 2005, can't remember for sure. But one thing I do know - I should be way better at it than I am. Every year when we go for the first time I am unbelievably nervous that I will hurt myself, or worse yet, someone else on the slopes. We only did a few runs yesterday as it was blizzardy and kind of hard to see, not to mention the fact that every year our first trip to the mountain is like the first time I have been on skiis - ever! I really wish I would get better at it, but I still do the same three or four runs I always do. They are familiar to me and I am somewhat comfortable on them. Kent keeps telling me to relax and I would ski better, but I don't believe him. These pictures are from a couple of years ago. We invited the Farmer's to go with us (my sister and her family, for those who don't know). We had a blast with them, and I would love it if they would come and ski with us again, but I know it's our turn to go with them and they ski Targee. That is over by West Yellowstone and there is no way I'm doing that. I'll stick to our own little Beaver Mountain, thank you very much. Kenna snowboards and Trevor skiis and they are both pretty good, fearless in fact. Kent has been skiing since he was a teenager and is so patient to just hang out on the easy runs with me. Every now and then he and Trevor like to do a black run while I sit in the lodge and finally relax. Despite the trauma, I truly do love being out in the beautiful winter surroundings (as long as it isn't too cold - very fair weather I am). I even enjoy skiing when I get to the bottom of the hill and realize how much fun I had coming down in one piece.  We never could get Regan and Nicki very interested in coming along and learning with us. They miss out and we miss them because we have so much fun together and I always wish they were with us. So, to end this blog - if anyone out there wants to come to Beaver and ski with us, you are more than welcome to come along - the more the merrier. Just be aware of the fact that I do granny-style skiing!

2 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same about snowboarding as you do about skiing. I started boarding when Mark and I were dating. That was 9 years ago! I still get scared EVERY TIME I go. While I like it, I'd much rather sit next to a fire and watch a movie.

    ReplyDelete