Tuesday, July 14, 2009


Okay, this may seem kind of silly to some of you out there in bloggerland, but there is a sad tale in this bowl of cherries. The first spring we were here I planted a couple of cherry trees in our back yard. I patiently waited for the trees to mature enough to pick some cherries. Finally, after 5 years of waiting, I looked out my window and to my delight, saw that our two trees were loaded with these big, beautiful cherries. I was so excited that we were going to finally taste the sweet fruits of our labor. Sweet cherries, ripe and fresh from the trees. As the summer went on and those cherries got bigger and bigger, I noticed that we were getting more and more birds in our yard. They were also enjoying the cherries. Now, I don't mind sharing with my little feathered friends, but by the time the fruit was ripe enough (just barely) to eat, this was all we got - one little bowl of cherries! Next year, the picking won't be so easy, for the birds I mean. I have a plan!!!

4 comments:

  1. Those cherries look yummy!

    ...and I'm taking it very personal that you don't have my blog added to your blog list! Especially since I was the one you came to for answers to your blogging questions! jk! Here it is if you would like to see what is going on in the life of the Hunter family:
    www.hunterfamilyscoop.blogspot.com

    Love, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline - Love your blog! Thanks for sending me the link. It's so fun to catch up on your fabulous family. Thanks for sending the soaps to try. And, those foot "butters" are THE BEST! I love them. I'm using everything and will send you feedback like you asked.

    Sorry about the cherries--I feel your pain. I used to complain so much about the birds eating ours. I purchased tree nets, but those little buggars are smart--they ate the perimeter cherries right through the nets. Sadly, both of the cherry trees died (not because of the birds--diseased).

    Love,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caroline! I was thrilled to find your blog on Deann's bloglist! Isn't blogging so much fun. I LOVE it.

    I love this post as it is so familiar. We don't have bird problems in our yard but we have 10 deer...an actual herd that eats everything in sight. They even eat our ivy. It is annoying and yet as you said you don't mind sharing, but...! They also eat the blossoms off our flowers and leave the stems. Very attractive! Nice running into you on the blogs! Your family looks great in your header photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caroline,

    If things go according to our wishes we will hopefully be moving up there next summer. Jim has one more year of work that should end around July 1st. It looks like we will be in Provo as both Jen and Chris are there. Laura and Robert maybe buying a house there too. Heavenly!

    ReplyDelete