Monday, November 1, 2010

The Worst of the Tricks!


Trevor decided at the last minute to go trick-or-treating with his friends on Saturday night (yes, you saw this costume last year. We are pretty lazy when it comes to putting costumes together. Consider this recycling). He even took a pillowcase with him. I used to have huge hangups about kids trick-or-treating with pillowcases. How much candy does one need anyway? And, isn't gluttony one of the seven cardinal sins!?! Not to mention what all that sugar does to the kids - blissful energy, then the inevitable crash (like all good drugs should do, right?), tooth decay, lethargic thinking, suppressed immune system, and the list goes on.


Dumb things I have done in the past in regards to the Halloween loot:
1. Not take my kids trick-or-treating.
2. Let my kids go trick-or-treating, then make them pick out their favorite 10 items, trashing the rest (this was by far the most sadistic because it never really got trashed, Kent and I ate it. I know, we're sick!).
3. Pick out all the bubble gum loaded with sugar and trash that (I have never liked my kids "chomping" on gum, and you will never see me doing it).
4. Allow them to eat as much Halloween candy on Halloween night as they can, then trash the rest (very poor advice from a not-very-bright mom, and I fell for it. Who's the dummy here?).
5. Pay my kids for their Halloween candy - actually, I can't remember if I ever really did this, or if I've just fantasized about doing it until in my mind it has become a "real" memory.


For years Nicki and Regan have had to take the brunt of our "learning curve" when it came to parenting skills. This is just one example. I think I owe them bags of candy, if they really want to collect!

6 comments:

  1. This is hilarious...my favorite...collecting the candy and then eating it with Kent. Oh this did make my day and make me think I will not chew gum anymore. It is a nasty habit! Caroline, I sure wish we lived closer. You are so funny and fun and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to our ward's Trunk or Treat this year. Cohen was so excited about all of the candy he collected. We ran out of candy to pass out before it was over. While I distracted Cohen, we started passing out HIS candy. He grabbed his bucket about 20 minutes later and didn't even notice. I don't think we'll be able to pull off that trick when he gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I begged to take pillowcases trick-or-treating AND always got cheated out of my hard earned candy. No wonder I have issues with this holiday.

    Just kidding :)
    mostly...

    Funny post Mom. It is gross how much candy kids load up on. Eeeekkk. Halloween will be a hard holiday for me to deal with when I have babes hoarding so much sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicki, if you want, you and McKay can take as many pillow cases trick-or-treating as you want next year and every year after that, and I won't say a word!

    ReplyDelete