Friday, July 9, 2010

Another Shameless Plug

I saw this article this morning when I was checking my email. I subscribe to Dr. Mercola's free newsletter and always find something interesting. This particular piece goes right along with what I do. Click here to read it.


I haven't used shampoo in my hair for the past year, or longer, and I don't buy Dr. Mercola's either. I use the soap I make, any bar. I just "shampoo" with my soap, rinse my hair and then use about 1/4 cup white vinegar added to 2 cups of water (give or take a bit) to get rid of any residue. It leaves my hair cleaner and softer than shampoo and conditioner and I don't have to wash it as often. It doesn't strip my hair of it's own natural, protective oils (or the color either). It is by far more gentle to my hair than shampoo and conditioner. Added bonus - since I'm not using plastics on my hair (that is what conditioners are - plastics to coat the hair shaft dried out from the detergents and chemicals in shampoo) my shower stays much cleaner! Not to mention that I am saving a bundle on shampoo and conditioner.

If you are thinking your expensive bottle is a better quality shampoo or conditioner, remember that is only slick marketing. It may even have added botanicals (for which your are being charged an arm and a leg), but all the other nasty chemicals and detergents are still there. I would put my soaps up against any shampoo or conditioner, not matter how expensive, any day of the week. 

If you are interested in switching over, remember, it may take a few shampoos with the bar soap and a few rinses with the vinegar to get your hair back to its normal, healthy self. Your hair will have a brief "detox" period. Stick with it, you will love the results. I just keep a plastic drinking cup in the shower with a jug of vinegar (the loveliest of decor, I'm sure), that way I always have it handy. And I don't stress over measurements either. A shower is supposed to be, in part, relaxing. I just add a bit of vinegar in the bottom of the cup, add water, swish it around (sometimes) then pour it on my hair. Massage it around a minute and then rinse it off. One more bonus - if you get those small pimples on your back/shoulders, it could be from your pores being opened in a warm shower, then getting clogged with your conditioner that is very difficult to wash off. The vinegar method actually cleanses your skin as it washes over your body. Don't worry, if you come to visit, you will have access to regular shampoo and conditioner - without a side of guilt;).

A few months ago, I wrote an article for a little flyer that circulates in Utah, dealing with the problems of personal care products. I highlighted some of the same ingredients as Dr. Mercola's article, only in a bit more depth. If you are interested you can click here and read it. Remember, I am not a professional writer or journalist - please forgive!

5 comments:

  1. I totally needed this post! I used the baby bar (which I love) on Cohen's body and hair. It worked as great shampoo, but the next day his long, thick hair was greasy! I was sad that I had to give up the bar as shampoo...now I don't have to be sad. I'll try the vinegar trick. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need soap again so badly! I'll place an order as soon as I figure out our new $ situation as retired folks I love that chocolate and orange one the most! I want to try it as a shampoo. My mom use to always rinse my hair with vinegar when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These articles are great and not shameless plugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Caroline, I am so interested! We'll have to talk sometime. I'd love to hear more about this product.

    ReplyDelete