Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Trevor

(Trevor's 11th birthday)
This morning as we said family prayer, it was Trevor's turn to pray. This boy amazes me. He has a depth of spirituality that constantly surprises me. He has always been this way. This morning as he was praying for Gma. McAffee, he asked that Gpa. would be comforted, that he would know Gma. was going to be okay and that he would realize God was watching over them. It was such a touching prayer and as he finished I was fighting tears. Today mom is having a consultation with her oncologist to go over the results of a bone biopsy done on Friday. We don't think it will be good news, and are keeping her and Grandpa in our prayers, asking Heavenly Father to give them peace and comfort. Mom having cancer has been hardest on dad and I think what we all fear the most is that if this goes bad for her and she leaves us, how will dad survive? He depends upon her for so much and I seriously wonder if he knows how to cook anything for himself or wash any clothes. This morning Trevor's prayer was for Grandpa. 

(Capitol Reef State Park)
A couple of years ago it was Trevor's turn to do the lesson for FHE. We usually give him a bit of help with the lesson, but this time he wanted to do it himself. He did his lesson on the prophet, Joseph Smith. As he finished it he bore his testimony, which, quite frankly, left us all speechless (next to impossible around here) and as he struggled with his own emotions, I was, again, touch at the depth he feels such things. He is sensitive to the Spirit and to the needs of others. 

Awhile ago, one of my friends told me I needed to get him involved in sports to "toughen him up". Trevor does not especially like being involved in team sports, although, he does love basketball and golf. He likes playing sports on the playground with his friends, but he doesn't like organized sports. I don't have a problem with this at all. I think my friend was shocked that I don't push him to do more sports and be more aggressive. He would be miserable if I did. I love that he isn't especially a rough and tumble type of boy. He loves wrestling around and goofing off with his dad, but that's about as far as his aggressiveness goes. I love that all his friends at school are the brainiacs. I love that he is rather academic and is inclined to appreciate the finer things in life. He loves piano and being in orchestra (viola).  What I love the most is that he still loves to give me hugs and tell me how much he loves and appreciates me.  (What mother wouldn't love that). He is a great kid and I look forward to having him get ordained this fall.

(Advancing from "Cubs" to "Scouts")

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a spiritual young man trevor is turning out to be. I don't think I'm even that spiritually in tune with Heavenly Father like I should be. HAPPY 11TH BIRTHDAY TREVOR!!! :) Hope it was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caroline,

    Trevor and Piper are so close in age...just five days apart. I didn't realize that. I hope he had a wonderful birthday! He sounds like a wonderful kid and he looks a lot like Kent to me! I am with you on the sensitive side of things being just perfectly fine for boys~they make better husbands and fathers! It is nice to see their spiritual sides come out and to hear their first genuine testimonies. Love it. Happy Birthday, Trevor! My son is turning 35 on Saturday...how can this be?

    So happy I got to see you recently. That was awesome!

    Hugs,

    Bon

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's a sweetheart. I love him a lot. There is a boy in my ward out here and he reminds me of Trevor, at least, I'm kind of convinced that Trev will grow up to be like him. He's so sweet and tender and has a fun personality. Trevor is a good, good boy. You are a lucky Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a sweet, perfect boy. nicki has been telling me for years about how sweet &precious he is. and i, too, fell in love with him when i visited. what a sweet, perfect little boy. he should not change!! he is the making to be successful, strong in what really matters, and the most tender &caring husband. why would he ever need to change!?

    ReplyDelete