Monday, March 9, 2009

Peter Pan

So its a brand new trimester at school, and one of my new classes is a reading and literature class, which is an enormous step for me because it takes me this insane amount of discipline to actually finish a book. Or start one. Of all the books that I've read, though, 'Peter Pan' by J.M Barrie is my very favorite.
After my teacher took the role he was asking all of these random people what book they are reading now. He called on me, and since I'm not reading one now, I said that I was reading Peter Pan. I guess that for some reason lying seemed like my best chance in this situation. Anyways, when I said that I'm reading it, my teacher gave me this really weird look and said, "Are you serious?" Um, yes I was serious. At least I would have been if I hadn't been lying. Apparently this man does not know that Peter Pan actually existed before the Disney version. Then he moved on to the next student without giving me a chance to justify my reading material.
Um, Peter Pan was written in 1904 by a genius, and is a very famous, classic piece of literature. Its way different than the Disney movie, and it is basically the best book in the whole world for kids and grown ups. But mostly grown ups.

"Peter Pan has a suppleness, lightness, and intelligence that are "literary" in the best sense...what we tend to forget because the tale of Peter Pan and Neverland has been so relentlessly boiled down, hashed up, and coated in saccharine, is that J.M. Barrie's original version is also witty, sophisticated, and delightfully odd."
- Richard Farr

I'm pretty sure that everyone already knows this, but after witnessing what I did today at school, I thought that I would clear things up just in case. :)

-Regs

No comments:

Post a Comment