Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Loving Farewell

For those of you who may not know, my mom passed away this last week. She was an amazing person and I will miss her so much. However, we are all so relieved that she is done with the pain involved with terminal cancer.

She passed away on September 1st surrounded by all of her kids and my dad was by her side. She knew we were there. She felt our love for her and we felt her love for us. It was the sweetest, most spiritual experience I have ever had. I never thought I would ever be saying that about her death, but it is true.

With each piece of bad news we received along this journey of her having cancer, she always felt like Heavenly Father was watching over her and showering her with blessings untold. Her faith never waivered. She felt His tender mercies upon her, and we continue to feel His love and peace extended to us as we enter this new phase of our lives. Even now we recognize that one last prayer was answered in her behalf, in that she passed quickly and didn't suffer for days or weeks on end, as some do. Her passing was mercifully fast.

The second Sunday in August, we were all in Idaho for my nephew's missionary farewell. Mom was with us and in pretty good spirits and health, considering. But she did tell me that day she didn't think she would be able to be to Nicki's wedding - it was just too long of a journey and too exhausting for her. I understood, but still wished she would have been in good enough health to attend. When I gave her a last kiss good-bye this week, I whispered in her ear and asked her to meet us in the temple in a couple of weeks. I know she will be with us on that special occasion.

I miss her so much, but cannot feel sorrow for her. She is in such a better place, and free of pain and the worries of having cancer and having dad take care of her, which exhausted him. She was always thinking of him, even to her last breath. My sorrow is for my dad and for those whom she left behind. I miss her already. But she wouldn't want us to be bogged down in sorrow. If she were here now she would be telling me to stop wasting time grieving for her and get busy because I have a lot to do before Nicki gets married. That's my mom!

8 comments:

  1. Caroline, this is a beautiful and tender tribute to your mom. I feel exactly as you do about my own mom's death. You have to experience it to know, don't you? I was surprised by how sweet it was considering how much I dreaded it, as I said in my letter.

    Blessings to you and know we love you all and are praying the rest of this month will be so good.

    I got this comment from Maryanne on my bog as I wrote a little something about when our moms pass away, that I posted today. She read it and left her comment for you there as she cannot seem to post comments on your blog??

    So Maryanne Gatchell said:

    "Hi Bonnie~ Thank you for your words. I just read the Caroline's post about her mom. For some reason I can not post comments on her blog. I was hoping that you might send this message to her blog from me if that's not too much trouble. Thanks Bon :)

    I am so sorry to hear this Caroline. Your words brought tears to my eyes. Knowing that she WILL meet you in the temple must bring comfort & peace. Thank you for your words & the way you express your feelings. I send prayers of comfort for your family."

    Keep the faith,
    ♥ Bon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry Aunt Caroline, that is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said it all beautifully. I miss her so much. I love you.

    Let me know if I can help with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my friend....my heart aches for you, but I can tell that you are feeling that sweet peace that comes from knowing that this is not the end. Thank you for sharing this sweet tribute to your mom, it was really beautiful and touched my heart. I send my love to you and your family, and pray that you will continue to feel peace and comfort. Take good care! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet. She sounds like such a sweet, kind woman is surely above enjoying all the blessings of the next life! What a comfort that we have the Plan of Salvation and we know where she is and that she is with her other loved ones who have passed on. And how wonderful to think that she is in no pain, just happy and definitely watching over you. I am so glad you have the Spirit with you to help you through this time! I know she will continue to be with you and watch over you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. goodbye sweet grandma! it was hard to say goodbye to her but i know she's not suffering anymore with the cancer and now she's probably getting lots of hugs and kisses from great grandma! :) what a great wonderful thing to know that we all will see her again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Caroline... Thank you for sharing this post. Sending love, hugs and kisses to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Caroline - What a special and sweet post about your mom and your thoughts. Your post reminded me of the time that Bill was dying. As hard as that time was for us, it was a time of love and peace, and our family was so spiritually connected in a way that can't be described. But you know what I'm talking about. Isn't it so comforting to know that we are away from each other for just a little while? Sending you a big hug and loving thoughts.

    ReplyDelete