Monday, February 15, 2010

The Real St. Valentine




I'm not sure I've ever contemplated where Valentine's Day comes from. I always assumed it was a "Hallmark" holiday, until I read this from my niece's blog. I love the story and wonder if it is really true, although I do know there was a St. Valentine. Valentine's cause of death would put him in the "Saint" category!

"One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men — his crop of potential soldiers. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death."

I wish I had seen this before the holiday was over, but no matter - be sure to tell your loved ones each and every day how much you love them. 

P.S. Now that Valentine's Day is over I have finally figured out how to change my background! Yipee!!!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story, I hadn't read that one before either. Love it! I may have to snag it for my grandkids blog if you don't mind!??

    I saw Sarah Carney Teveter yesterday at our ward and told her about your soap company. She apparently lives quite near you and shops in Providence at Macy's, goes to the quilting store there, etc. Anyway she has very sensitive skin and is quite interested. Thank you so much for included the extra soaps..I gave them to people as a little marketing thing for you. If you want to send anymore I'll give them to key people like Stacey Frost who sees women all the time in her salon. Hopefully it will generate some business.

    I just love your company. Do you ever do hand rolled soaps? My bathroom is almost done and I can just see a big glass jar with round ones in it. By the way I ordered all that chocolate and orange soap because it is divine and it matches my new shower! Weird huh that someone who loves designing thinks of that first every time!

    Speaking of that I ♥ your new background. Gorgeous! You are one class act all the way, Miss Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that is why we have Valentine's Day. You inspired me, through Nicki's blog post about V-day, to include Hallie (and all of our kids) in on the celebrations. Changed my way of thinking. I thought it was just a "lovers" holiday but its much more- a day to recognize the people you love. Our weekend together as a family was so much fun. Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. I always love reading them and often come back and re-read them (too much time on my hands I guess). Ashley, I love that you have started including your kids, it makes it so much fun. Bonnie, I plan on learning to make these rolled soaps. I have seen them and love them, but am having a time trying to figure out how it's done. I know the basic concept, just not the details and as you know, everything is in the details. Contact me through email and let me know which soaps you would like me to send and I will do so, or if you'd rather, I can pick a selection. I thought about Stacey, but didn't know if I was being presumptuous or not. I had no idea Sarah was in the valley. I know her grandparents live here, even have an idea where exactly they live. I'll see if I can find her. Thanks, as always, for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Caroline,

    Love your blog. :) You're a great mom!

    I need to order soap. My mom keeps telling me that it will change my life. And I think a life changing event will be fun. I'll have to call you. :)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute background mama.
    That's a sweet story. Hope you had a good Valentine's Day. I LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that story! that's good to know. i wonder why neither of us never knew that? it seems like something important school/tv should have told us or something.

    ReplyDelete